Making an Initial Appointment
If you are interested in using Counseling Center services, please call 512-245-2208 or visit our office in LBJSC 5-4.1.
If you are seeking Group Counseling or Couples Counseling, please tell the front desk staff.
You can initiate Counseling Center services through one of four levels of same day consultation appointments. We understand your situation is unique, cannot be fully described and that a feeling of emergency or crisis is defined by you. In our effort to best serve each student, we will respond according to your description of your consultation need. When you call or come in for your consultation appointment you will be asked to indicate the level of appointment you are seeking (see levels below):
- I am concerned about my ability to keep myself safe.
- I have a current plan to attempt suicide.
- I have taken recent steps to end my life.
- I may physically hurt someone else.
- I have a strong desire to harm someone else.
- Someone close has recently received a serious diagnosis or died.
- I have recently been physically or sexually assaulted.
- I am hearing voices or seeing things other people do not.
- I have recently been discharged from a psychiatric hospital.
- I am in such emotional distress I have not been able to meet my daily responsibilities.
Emergency and Urgent consultations are same-day appointments. If you call the Counseling Center for these appointments you will be invited to come into the center as soon as your schedule permits. A clinician will meet with you as soon as they are available. Upon arrival, you will provide basic information. Sometimes based on the demand for these appointments, you may need to wait to be seen. Our waiting room provides a comfortable place to wait until a clinician is available.
Common concerns bringing students to an ICON include, but are not limited to:
- I am experiencing anxiety and/or stress.
- I feel depressed and/or have low mood/energy.
- I am concerned about my alcohol and/or drug use.
- I am having difficulty adjusting to a recent change.
- I am having relationship(s) problems.
- I am unsure about something significant in my future.
ICONs are same-day appointments. Calling earlier in the day provides you with more appointment times/options. If no appointments remain available, you will be asked to call on a different day when your schedule is flexible.
Upon arrival, you will provide basic information and meet with a counselor for approximately 15 minutes to decide how the Counseling Center can best meet your needs. Various services may be recommended and scheduled including brief individual, group, or couples counseling, or workshops. Or you may be referred to a more appropriate campus or community resource.
If you are NOT interested in starting therapy or in on-going therapy at the Counseling Center but want assistance for the following reasons please indicate the reason for the appointment when you call:
- I have a specific concern or question that can be resolved in a single appointment.
- I need to make a major decision in the next 2-3 days.
- I am concerned about someone else (a friend, roommate, etc.).
- I am seeking a referral for counseling elsewhere or medication.
Please be on time for your appointment. In order to serve all students effectively, your appointment may be rescheduled if you are late.
No Bag Policy
In order to help provide our clients and staff with a safe and secure environment, backpacks, purses, bags, or any similar item of any size or kind, are not permitted beyond the reception area of the Counseling Center. Students can hand carry wallets and electronic items (laptops, phones, etc.) into their appointment.
Students are encouraged to secure backpacks/purses/bags elsewhere prior to their appointment. If brought to an appointment, limited locker space is available in the Counseling Center. The Counseling Center is not responsible for loss or damage of items stored in the lockers.
During your ICON you will also receive a copy of the Counseling Center Student Guide to Services and Policies, which provides detailed information about scheduling and canceling appointments, as well as confidentiality and privacy policies and practices.