If you have been referred for counseling in the community, prefer weekly or specialized counseling off-campus, or are seeking an evaluation for medication the Counseling Center has a Referral Specialist available to work with students one-on-one to assist with the referral process. Call 512-245-2208 and request a Case Management appointment.
Additional information and resources for off-campus counseling are listed below to assist you with the process:
Off-Campus Counseling Referrals
- The Guide to Off Campus Mental Health Referrals walks you through the process of finding out about your insurance benefits for mental health appointments. You can request that the customer service representative send you a list of in-network providers via email or text.
- The www.psychologytoday.com ‘Find a Therapist’ tool provides more details about each provider including their philosophy, theoretical orientations, and specializations.
- The Counseling Center maintains a list of local counselors between Buda and New Braunfels, providers within walking distance or bus route accessible, and Sliding Fee Centers. Some of these therapist are temporarily providing telehealth services due to COVID19. The Counseling Center does not endorse any specific counselors.
- Online Therapy resources can be more easily accessible. The Counseling Center does not endorse any any specific platforms.
- This is a list of Food Resources for Texas State students.
If you want to be evaluated for medication for a mental health concern, please try the following:
- Call the customer service number on the back of your insurance card and ask the representative to send you a list of in-network psychiatrists and psychiatric nurse practitioners.
- Make an appointment with a primary care physician at the Student Health Center to discuss medication options. If needed, the physician will refer you to a psychiatrist.
- Review this list of psychiatrists in the area. The Counseling Center does not endorse any specific providers.
If a student is engaged in counseling at the Counseling Center, the clinician may refer a student to a Student Health Center physician or psychiatrist for a medication evaluation.